Disturb us, Lord

"Launch out into the deep..." ~Luke 5: 4

Disturb us, Lord, when
We are too pleased with ourselves,
When our dreams have come true
Because we dreamed too little,
When we arrived safely
Because we sailed too close to the shore.

Disturb us, Lord, when
with the abundance of things we possess
We have lost our thirst
For the waters of life;
Having fallen in love with life,
We have ceased to dream of eternity
And in our efforts to build a new earth,
We have allowed our vision
Of the new Heaven to dim.

Disturb us, Lord, to dare more boldly,
To venture on wilder seas
Where storms will show Your mastery;
Where losing sight of land,
We shall find the stars.

We ask you to push back
The horizons of our hopes;
And to push us into the future
In strength, courage, hope, and love.

This we ask in the name of our Captain,
Who is Jesus Christ.

Sir Francis Drake, 1557, before departing from Portsmouth, England, to circumnavigate the globe.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~Mark Twain

9 Responses to “Disturb us, Lord”

1. Abby Maddox says:

Oh how I needed this reminder this day! BTW, I devoured The King’s General, and photographed the heck out of your pretty presentation. Thank you for mailing a little package of enchantment for me to submerge myself in 🙂

2. Lisa says:

Just perfect!

3. Rachelle says:

Though I can’t pretend to share it as beautifully as you did, I took this poem and prayer as my theme.

4. Thanks for posting such beauty.

5. Gretchen says:

Thank you for sharing this, Lanier. I needed it today.

6. Wendy says:

This is beautiful Lanier and so timely for me! Hmmm…a bit scary (some of that Much Afraid coming out) but oh, so certain when we follow our LORD! Thank you precious friend!

7. Stephanie says:

Thank you Lanier…Sir Francis’ prayer fits the theme of what the Lord has been impressing upon me lately. Definitely a timely word.

8. Max says:

Books? Poems? How lovely that they still exist! If only in cyber’s space… Thank you for the reminder of God’s glory as we ask Him to disturb us. Wonderful, wonderful.

9. […] I want a nimble sailboat. But more than that, I want to be a nimble sailboat. I’ve shared before the conviction I’ve finally given myself permission to own: namely, that in a world of determined steel trawlers and blindingly fast motorboats, my personality is imaged more accurately in the unapologetic sensitivity of a sailboat. I don’t have to be sophisticated, or brilliant, or even, as Anne Shirley would say, angelically good (thank the good Lord for that—and I mean that with all my heart!). But I do want to be responsive to the winds of His spirit in my sails, keen to the sea changes that He’s brewing in my own heart. Just this past week I caught the tenderest whisper: Don’t resent your own restlessness, child. Lean into it. Look for its gifts. Find the stars. […]